Like most businesses, if you have considered using the cloud for your database needs, there are three distinct options that you can go for. The first is a ready-to-use ERP solution, which comes with its own bunch of features but usually tends to be expensive. The second alternative is a custom online database that’s built specifically for your business from scratch. The final choice is online database software, which is offered by a third company and you just pay a price for the storage and services. In this post, we will talk of the pros and cons of the 3rd option.
- There is no denying that online database software makes sense for most businesses, especially the growing and new ones that don’t have enormous budgets for custom database development.
- Unlike readymade CRP solutions, online database software doesn’t require any installation, and you can start immediately. Everything from the basic start, to other aspects, will be handled by the concerned service provider remotely.
- Probably the biggest advantage of using online database software is the ability to work remotely. This enables companies and teams to collaborate with one another, and you can even access your account and all other information on your mobile and handheld devices.
- With online database software, businesses only pay for the storage they need. This kind of gets away with the cost of having an IT budget in the first place or the other aspects that are related to maintenance.
- Finally, clients don’t have to bother about upgrades and updates. You will get all the relevant information easily from the service support, who will also come in handy to train your team members. It’s a smooth process from the start that requires minimal investment or involvement for setup.
In all fairness, installed solutions and ERP software have the advantage of being accessible, even when there is no internet, which is not the case with online database software. Also, as the business grows, you will have to pay for more users, more storage for a subscription, so the costs may increase to an extent.
Finally, don’t shy away from discussing the needs of your business in detail with the online database software provider. That should help in getting a scalable solution that doesn’t cost a bomb and includes everything that you require to run the database smoothly, both in office and remotely.